Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Hi all!

We are back from Virginia and D.C. ... apparently just in the nick of time! We escaped the 5-8 inches of snow and cancelled flights that began after we left on Sunday. Mandy and Will were wonderful hosts and we are so blessed to have been able to spend time with them.

A few photos from the trip are listed below.

So we started our adventure last Thursday in D.C. with a full day of walking The Mall ready to take in the sights of an area so steeped in history. We made it to the National Archives, The National Gallery of Art where we enjoyed a Robert Frank photography exhibit and the Natural History Museum where we got a look at the Hope Diamond. After lunch at the historic Old Ebbitt Grill we were off to see ALL of the memorials and monuments that D.C. has to offer. We wrapped the day by visiting Arlington National Cemetary for the last changing of the guard at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. John and I were in awe of the beauty of the cemetary at sunset and overwhelmed as we were surrounded by so many who had given their lives for our freedom. We ended by having dinner with Mandy and Will in D.C. ...and headed back to Fairfax on the metro to get in five hours of sleep before an early morning rise.

Friday A.M. we headed out to D.C. for a tour of The White House and little did we know what the day would hold. At the end of The White House Tour (which was self-guided and a bit short in length)... we were called back inside by White House staffers. There was word that Obama would be leaving in 25 minutes and they were going to let us stay to get a glimpse of Mr. President. Of course, we have no photos since cameras are not allowed inside the walls of THE house, but it is certainly etched in our memories. The Secret Service gave kind, but STRONG warnings and instructions before leading us outside to what is the first family's backyard. The press core was positioned just down the walkway from our group. After about 20 minutes of anticipation, Marine One came into our line of vision above several trees. We watched as the pilot landed the helicopter with perfect precision on what appeared to be a 2 or 3ft round cement block.

Then..there he was. Mr. President appeared from the far side of The White House's back lawn with one of his advisors, made the long walk to Marine One, made eye contact as he waved and smiled to everyone. After several other members of his staff boarded, they were off. John and I don't believe in false idols or care about celebrity sightings, but we were excited to watch the leader of the free world wave to us from about 50 yards away.

After some time at The White House Visitor's Center, and hitting a street vendor to pick up a tasty treat of soft, warm pretzels with mustard, we were off to The Hirshhorn. The Smithsonian's Museum of International Modern and Contemporary Art. Needless to say, John and I were in hog heaven. After that our bodies were really calling for a break so we headed back to Mandy and Will's apartment for a quick bite to eat and a cat nap. Well, I napped while John researched wineries, Mandy fixed lunch and Will took Kirby to a local dog park.

Then we went to Old Town Alexandria, and I said many times that afternoon and night, I could live there. I could live in DC or the surrounding VA areas really. What an incredibly beautiful place. We strolled King Street visiting shops, art galleries and an out of this world French Bakery before heading down to dinner overlooking The Potomac River (thanks for the suggestion Nick!). We spent the next few hours soaking in some food, drink and conversation with Mandy & Will. Afterwards, we found a cool local hangout spot called O'Connell's as our last stop before heading back to call it a night.

Saturday morning John and I decided we wanted to see some local color/culture. When we travel one of the things we enjoy most is seeing how locals live and enjoying things that are unique and specific to the area where we are. We began at The Eastern Market, taking photos, looking at art and eating pastries (The best chocolate croissant I have ever had? Perhaps!) at the local market. After that we all jumped back on the metro to get a taste of the Ben's Chili Bowl famous half smoke! Historic, and there since 1958, this is a very popular local spot to grab a good bite to eat. It had some of THE BEST soul and jazz music playing John I think we have ever heard. Not your typical radio stuff.

That afternoon we picked up Mandy and Will's hilarious Westie named Kirby and left for Wine County in Loudon County, VA. What a treat! Gorgeous rolling hills framed by black fences all around us. We found ourselves at Chrysalis Vineyards (http://www.chrysaliswine.com/) for my first-ever wine tasting experience. We traveled down the road to Piedmont Vineyards where John found enough details in the landscape and in the property to get lost in his photography for more than a half an hour. I was too cold and chatted it up with the locals inside the winery.

Before calling it a day, John and I jumped back on the metro (which I love!) and ventured on to Clarendon (a swanky neighborhood of Arlington) for a romantic dinner out at EatBar, a local spot highly recommended in Washingtonian Magazine. It was the perfect end to our trip....and I can honestly say I felt like a kid in a candy shop when we left dinner that night... As I looked up, snow began to fall. John looked at me and said, "You got your wish." That I did. It was something I was able to see for the very first time on this trip.

Mandy and Will made a big breakfast of eggs and bacon the next morning before we did a little more shopping, said our goodbyes and left for the airport.

John and I have added DC to our list of places to experience again as it had SO MUCH to offer.
Next time we are there I plan to get John out of his food comfort zone and into an Indian restaurant. D.C. is supposed to have some of the best Indian food around.

A special thanks again to Mandy and Will for their hospitality. xo.

Next up on the travel list? Hawaii! We are certainly heaven blessed.

Summer

No comments:

Post a Comment























Followers